Lessons from the Best Boy
This sweet boy got his angel wings on Sunday after a tough three weeks. Nacho touched the lives of everyone he met, making friends easily and enthusiastically.
I only knew Nacho for four of his ten years, but was privileged to be chosen by him to be a member of his pack. Not only did he bring joy and light to my life, he also taught me many lessons. Here’s some of his legacy and wisdom:
- There is a great day out there for the taking. Get up early and go get it.
- On rainy days, it’s nice to sleep in. The great day will still be there later.
- It is best to begin one’s day with a belly rub. And it is always a good time for a belly rub.
- Walks are for savoring the day. Use all your senses. Lift your face to the sun and take a deep breath.
- You can’t take too many walks, and now is always a good time for a walk.
- Greet everyone as though you haven’t seen them in ages. Your joy is contagious.
- Everyone is worth meeting, although some give better ear scratches than others. Those are our friends, and it is always exciting to see them.
- Accept all kisses. Give return kisses. Hugs are also welcome.
- Adventure awaits; get in the car. It is always a good time for a car ride.
- Where food is being prepared and eaten, stay vigilant and close. Persistence pays off.
- Be respectful of others’ food, but use your strengths (that face, those eyes!) to make your case for sharing. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
- You can’t have too many treats. It is always a good time for a treat.
- Be sure to play at least once a day to keep your skills sharp. Some people will play better than others, but at least do a short play with the amateurs to help them improve.
- Couch privileges are for the highest rank of best boys. Note: the couch is more cozy when the whole pack is present.
- Turn off the TV by 8pm and put away your phone. Go to bed early for the best dreams.
- Spend all your time close to the people you love. The pack is best together.
- All hardships and baths can be endured for short periods. Be brave and expect treats afterwards.
- When your body is tired and can’t heal, make sure your pack is there, have all your favorite treats, and lay down peacefully in the sunshine for your final goodbye. It is always a good time to be surrounded by love.
Love you always, sweet boy. Your Jen Fren misses you. xo
p.s. As always, your comments are welcome on this post at https://www.facebook.com/jenfrankcoaching.